From: Bonnie Holmes [mailto: holmesbm@usit.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 13:23:31 -0700
Subject: Re: [CHAT] /schools

Here's an idea for those who think they might want to go back to
idea of lifelong learning is an appealing one to many people.
And<br>lifelong certainly would include retirement years. So for a lot
of us,<br>making an education-saving account part of our retirement plan
surface: College-saving 529 plans are most<br>often pitched at parents
as a way to set aside money that grows tax-free<br>and is used to pay
tuition for children. But there's nothing in the<br>rules governing
these plans that prevents you from donating money to<br>yourself for
later educational use.<br> <br>Most of your retirement planning is
focused on providing a big enough<br>nest egg to meet your anticipated
income requirements. Pensions, IRAs,<br>401(k)s and Social Security all
go into the calculation.<br> <br>But if you think about all of the
activities you might want to<br>undertake in retirement that could be
done as part of continuing<br>education, you can see why a 529 plan
ought to be included in that mix:<br>Many college and extension courses
include exotic travel, fine dining<br>and cooking, adventure outings and
only real trick is that the courses you take must come through
an<br>accredited institution in order to meet the rules for tax-free
529<br>expenditures. But that can be a lot easier than you might
think.<br> <br>This twist on the traditional use of 529s was first posed
by our Tax<br>Watch columnist Eva Rosenberg several years ago. It hasn't
caught on --<br>yet. But remember, the 401(k) was once just an obscure
section of<br>corporate tax law -- until someone came along who saw its

m&gt;<br>&gt; To: &lt;gardenchat@hort.net&gt;<br>&gt; Date: 05/20/2004
message dated 5/20/2004 7:29:52 PM Central Standard Time, <br>&gt;
hodgesaa@earthlink.net writes:<br>&gt; Which is why we go back to grad
school 15 (I mean 12) years later when we<br>&gt; learn what we want to
be when we grow up........<br>&gt; My brother, who got his undergraduate
degree in painting, has been a <br>&gt; paralegal for about 25 years
now. In the interim he has gotten a masters<br>in liberal <br>&gt;
studies with a focus on play writing. Now that he's 50 he's decided
he<br>wants a <br>&gt; JD so he's starting law school in the fall. I
have to admire him. At 62<br>I <br>&gt; still don't know what I want to
do with my life and am constantly toying<br>with <br>&gt; the idea of
going to grad school. No wonder people think I'm nuts.
Support hort.net -- join the hort.net fund drive!<br>&gt;

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com