Re: Plant disaster/ups versus usps

Yeah, here too, Kitty. Just today got a Euphorbia platyclada from Shoal Creek Succulents. They sent it bare root and it arrived in very good shape. The box fit in the mail box, but 2 days ago, I got a copy of the book "Pachyforms." My postal person [an H-less Megan] put it inside the front screen door.

On Friday, May 21, 2004, at 10:39 AM, Kitty wrote:

Here, priority mail is delivered to the door if it won't fit in the mailbox.
But then so is parcel post. I think it's just prudent to bring anything to
the door rather than leave it out of the mailbox on the ground at the road.
Here, also, it is delivered by the same driver as regular mail. Marge, my
guess is that the French Doors don't look like an everyday entry. They look
for the door they expect you to use to come and go so you'll see the pkg.
That, or there is something about the other door that looks safer. You
could post a note about it, but there's a good chance no one would read it.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marge Talt" <mtalt@hort.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2004 12:34 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Plant disaster/ups versus usps

I get the impression that priority mail is delivered by different
carriers than regular daily deliveries...at least that's the case

For some unknown reason, whoever is delivering priority to my address
trots the box to the wrong door - walks 20' along covered walk -
exits the covered walk and props it up against the wrong door in the
sun...I've not been fast enough to catch whoever it is in the act to
tell them to leave boxes UNDER the roof area of the walk (in the
shade) at the right door...the pair of french doors that you come to
if you follow the covered walkway...it's like this guy sees a door
straight ahead and homes in on it without looking to the side, 5'
away from him/her at the right door.  This is not only USPS; have had
a few other delivery types do the same thing.  Amazes me.  Eyes
front; blinders on.

I think it must be a problem with your Peekskill office since I was
also under the impression that priority mail had to be delivered to
the door - part of the service you pay extra for when you buy
priority...is there no higher regional office you can complain to?

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi
All Suite101.com garden topics :

From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
They must deliver to you, Bonnie.  My problem is that the USPS does
deliver packages to us. Since we live about 1/3 mile from the main
road, the eight
houses on the road have a cluster mailbox on the main road.
Anything too
large to go into the box is not delivered. They put a notice in
the box that it
can be picked up the next day - even Express Mail which is supposed
to be next
day delivery. Our mail still goes through the Peekskill post
office though
there are three small offices nearer us. Peekskill is notorious
for poor
service - I could give you some hair-raising tales.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
Zone 10
27.0 N, 82.4 W