Re: Pam--Maxicrop

The orange-flowered bird [Strelitzia reginae, named for Queen Victoria] seems to bloom best in the "cool" season, when well fed, and when crowded. It does not bloom easily when small or young. But I think crowding is the key. Even when planted out, a big clump blooms from the center, not from the periphery. I do not have one of these myself, but we use a lot of them in landscapes--but never in sizes smaller than 7 gallon [about the size of your mother's friend's plant]. Occasionally a 7-gallon plant will bloom, but it's not a given.

The white-flowered bird [S. nicolai, named for Tsar Nicholas] seems to need to reach a certain age to bloom. I do have two of these, only one of which blooms. It blooms all year, and at the moment has about 10 flowers, all above the roof line of the house.