Re: Nice day/August in Florida

Well, you won't be cold. For August, the average high temperature is 90 [record is 97]; average low temperature is 76 [record is 68]; and there is an average of 10 rainy days [6 inches of rain]. These averages and records are for Venice, but the rest of the state will be similar. So don't forget the sunscreen and the sunglasses.

The Gulf beaches are delightful at that time of year--the water is about 80 degrees, quite like a spa. And there are lots of interesting things to see and do. But the Florida Gulf coast is not like the Pacific coast or the Atlantic coast. Much of the Gulf coast--especially the stretch from Panacea to Crystal River--is salt march and not accessible by auto except for a few isolated fishing camps.

You might want to spend some time with a map and AAA's Florida Tour Book. If you're not a AAA member, let me know and I'll send you a copy. The book is very good at describing points of interest--parks, natural phenomena, and the like--as well as letting you know, by omission, that there can be long stretches of some of these roads where even a gas station is rare.

On May 5, 2005, at 5:04 AM, Melody wrote:

So, Jim...what is the weather usually like down there in Gulf Paradise
say around middle of August? Now that we have a reliable means of
transport, our trip south is definitely on. Now I know this might sound
silly, but since none of us have ever seen much of the Gulf Coast, we
are planning on a driving trip down the coast, stopping whenever and
wherever that takes our fancy. We did this a couple of years ago when we
went to visit Tony in Washington...drove up the coast as far as we could
in several hours, turned around and came back down the ocean highway,
stopping whenever one of us would go "Ooh...look at that, let's stop!"
We ended up somewhere in Oregon a day or so later. You get to see the
best darned places in this country that way...just driving wherever...

Hills, IA zone 5

--- On Wed 05/04, james singer < islandjim1@verizon.net > wrote:
From: james singer [mailto: islandjim1@verizon.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 15:14:53 -0400
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Nice day/or not

wrote:<br><br>> No foolin' Jim - that doesn't look so hot!!
Hmmmm....<br>><br>> On 5/4/05, pdickson <pdickson@sbcglobal.net>
From: "james singer" <islandjim1@verizon.net><br>>> To: "Garden Chat"
<gardenchat@hort.net><br>>> Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 9:47 AM<br>>>
Subject: [CHAT] Nice day<br>>><br>>>> Just another nice day in

Maximum 100 F [38 C]<br>>>><br>>>>
10<br>Minimum 30 F [-1 C]<br>Maximum 100 F [38

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W