To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, May 09, 2005 12:03 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Paeonia japonica

I also have P. obovata, another woodland peony, but with pink blooms. It's
shoots are only up a few inches so far, but it bloomed the first year (got
them at the same time, but obovata came from Seneca while japonica came from
PDN - I think PDN gets them from Seneca, divides them and charges twice as

I posted a picture of the red, white, and blue seedpod from obovata last
year. I tried germinating the seed in a baggie os smoist sphagnum, in and
out of refrigeration, but no luck. They're back in the fridge again. I was
thinking of pitching them, but if you're willing to give them 3 yrs, maybe
I'll let them sit awhile longer.

BTW - I don't really mind 'fleeting' flowers when they are this gorgeous. I
don't have a display garden and it doesn't have much of a design. I just
have what I like (and can afford) and the fact that each has its special
moment for me to glory in, is enough for me.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marge Talt" <mtalt@hort.net>