RE: birds/ponds

Hope you quarantined those koi before releasing them. Lotsa of sick ones out
there lately and can kill off the entire pond...

Koi are definitely more personable than goldfish. If you don't have
predators, you might want to teach them to eat out of your hand... don't
worry, their teeth are way down in the bottom of their throat, so they suck
your finger, don't bite it. It also gives you the chance to check them for
sores or problems.

I have everything in my pond at the moment and is one reason we are draining
it. It is going back to being only a koi pond. Of course, I am sure the
egret and heron will be bringing something else again... I am very careful
with any new plant material brought in. I unpot, clean (give them a PP bath
too) trying to keep unwanted things out of there.

In basic terms, the eggs are in the bellies of your fish and the males have
to pin her down against something to push the eggs out and fertilize. Of
course, they also eat the eggs as well.... but somehow in my pond, not
enough of the fry get eaten! (too much cover obviously) You need to check
the mother, they sometimes get bad cuts from this.

If the babies are black, they are goldfish and will turn other colors down
the road... if they are clear, they are koi.

Donna