Re: Lilies and cats - a rejoinder

And here's a contrary view from a lily grower with cats:

Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 12:43:06 -0700
From: Kathleen Mingl <kcmingl@comcast.net>

Well, I can only say from personal experience that the cat population
around here seems to be immune, though I had read on this list before
that lilies could be dangerous to cats if they eat the bulbs or other
parts. (Maybe it's like chocolate to dogs - there's a chemical in it
that their bodies can't metabolize, but our old neighbor always had a
box of fancy chocolates to give out as treats to her dogs - and to my
little girl, whenever she toddled down the sidewalk for a visit! - never
could discourage the dear old soul from her misplaced generosity,

Photo attached shows our old cat, "Buddy," underneath the 'Scheherazade'
lilies on the fence, a few years ago - he always tries to get into the
picture when I'm photographing the garden;-) Besides our own seven cats
(defined as those that sleep in the house at night, and for whom we pay
vet bills!), there are always strays in the yard, and chasing cats out
of the lily beds is a constant battle around here.

We did have one cat that was mentally unbalanced and accident-prone, and
if any cat would have eaten a lily or gotten sick from pollen, I would
have definitely expected it of him, but even he never did. Could some
cats be allergic to lilies, I wonder?

Kathleen Mingl (Oregon Zone 8, U.S.A.)

ALL messages and photos on this group are copyright and MAY NOT be used for any purpose without the express written permission of the author/photographer.

Yahoo! Groups Links

Jim Fisher
Vienna, Virginia USA
38.9 N 77.2 W