Re: Hot

I also use something called Jiffy Mix, which seems pretty good also.

On May 28, 2005, at 11:35 AM, Chapel Ridge Wal Mart National Hearing Center wrote:

Jim,
I've tried several kinds of germinating mix and I like GS the best.
Kitty
----- Original Message -----
From: "james singer" <islandjim1@verizon.net>
To: "Garden Chat" <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, May 27, 2005 12:08 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Hot

Too hot after about 10 AM today to do much outside. 87 now [1:30 or
so]. My New York neighbor has a bitter orange that hangs over my fence,
and I did manage to get a lot of the hang-over lopped off while it was
still pleasant out.

So right now I'm sitting inside, air on, sipping a little white wine,
and trying to figure out where to plant a tree given to us by the
parents of one of Ms. Fatma's students. It's a cherimoya they raised
from seed. It makes the fourth Annonaceae in our collection [two sugar
apples and an atemoya]; the only other one I would like to add is the
native paw-paw, but doubt if we can give it the chill hours it needs to
be happy.

All of the vegetable seeds I've planted are up except for the pigeon
peas. They were old seeds, so I may be out of luck until I get some new
ones. And two of the three Palestine lime seeds I planted are up.
Palestine lime is a citrus from--where else?--the Middle East. Reported
to be quite popular in Israel. It produces limes that are sweet rather
than tart but otherwise quite limey in flavor. Now if I can just get
the babies to grow for me, I'll be very happy. Incidentally, it took
only 11 days for them to germinate--outdoors, in the lathhouse, under
mist; medium was Gardener's Supply germinating mix.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10