Re: Tepid....citrus

Yeah. I heard the same thing, Pam. There are satsumas that are very cold hardy. The older varieties of satsuma--such as Owari--were hardy to 18 degrees F; I've heard of more recent varieties able to withstand even lower temperatures. And, as Noreen said, calamondins and kumquats are also cold hardy to a degree. I do not particularly like calamondins, although they make great marmalade and a nice drink is made from the juice with a bit of sweetener. But I love tree-ripe Nagami kumquats, those little football shaped fruits that appear in the supermarkets of the world around Christmas time. You eat them whole--the peel is citrusy and sweet, the flesh is tart; odd combination. The Chinese candy them whole, and they are quite good that way, too. Also, they keep on the tree for a long time--one of my trees still holds a few fruits, and it's almost June.