Re: Outrage! NOW Snakes

What kinds of poisonous snakes live in your part of the country? I think that once they are identified, and you realize the rest of them won't do anything to you, living with them is a snap. Unless it's a copperhead I just ignore the ones around here figuring they are doing their job in my garden, too.
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, May 28, 2005 9:38 PM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] Outrage!

Oh Auralie,

I am so sorry to hear this... Seems like nature works against us at times

Best talk to Jim and find out how he trapped his otherwise this might be a
nightly thing.

I try to live with nature as much as I can, but lately those rabbits and
herons and egrets are loosing my patience. But in my heart I know I can't
hurt them... was weeding the other night and here was this baby rabbit (like
a day or so old) and I had to move it along with a weed stalk, cause it was
to afraid to move. Easily could have been stew and I will probably regret
that later.

And then there are the snakes.... DH is almost to the point of refusing to
go in the back yard. He has seen it twice in the last couple of weeks. The
last time I went looking for it, couldn't find it. I was going to relocate
it since I need him to help me back there. If my mother didn't verify his
story, I would have thought he was just trying to get out of helping.

After a week of totally miserable, cold, cloudy, damp but not
rainy weather, it cleared up and turned warmer yesterday.
I spent the afternoon planting out tender things in the container
garden I set up each summer in my breezeway - filled all the
big pots, planted out half the plants I have been hoarding.
I didn't finish because a sudden wind and rain storm ran me
in, but felt I had made a good start.  This morning when we
went out to fill the bird-feeders, what a disaster!  Every single
pot had been turned over or dug up.  Every plant, including
the five miniature rose bushes, had been dug up and thrown
on the ground. My DH is stressed about all the expensive
potting soil spilled into the gravel where it will encourage
weeds.  I am stressed about my plants.  It took me an hour
just to get things straightened up.  What a start for the
season.  I guess it must have been raccoons.  I know we
have lots of them around.  Skunks dometimes dig things up,
but this was so much more systematic and complete - some
of the pots were quite large.  There are days when I think
we're losing the battle with nature.