really interesting people  too.  Wish we had seen you though.
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast
In a message dated 5/29/2005 10:19:08 AM Central Standard Time,
gardenchat-owner@hort.net writes:

From: "  Scottie Baugh" <robbinsbaugh@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Scale  on orchids

There is a complex answer to this in the June  Orchids Magazine (formerly AOS
Bulletin), and at the end they quote this  website:
http://nathist.sdstate.edu/orchids/pests/scales.htm which seems to  have all
of the info included in the article.

In addition to the  info in the above link, the Orchids article states:  "The
current  arsenal of effective insecticides for the small grower of orchids is
more  limited.  If you are looking for a systemic, about the only  one
available inexpensively is acephate (=Orthene).  This chemical now  comes in
a wide variety of formulations from commercial wettable powders to  premixed
over-the-counter spray bottles.  If you are using Isotox IV,  this new
formulation is a mixture of acephate and the miticide  fenbutatin-oxide.
Alternatives that are effective include Malathion,  carbaryl, imadichloprid
and the growth regulator kinprene (sold as  EnstarII).  These are highly
effective on crawlers, but not  adults."

In our greenhouse, we use alcohol and a q-tip -- time  consuming, but it
works, or rubbing alcohol mixed with a little Ivory  dishwashing soap and
water in a spray bottle.  So far we've not needed  anything more potent than
that (knock wood).   I know that some  growers highly recommend EnstarII, but
it is VERY expensive.

There  is a book, Orchid Pests and Diseases (www.aos.org or 561-404-2020)
which is  very good.  Most local orchid societies have it in their
libraries --  if you visited a meeting, you could probably at least see if
you wanted to  purchase it.

Texas Gulf  Coast