To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, May 13, 2006 8:04 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Plant Question & Fun at the Nursery

Zem,
The following isn't specifically about your salvia but it's about one collected at the location of its namesake. Since Watermelon is hardy to Z7 and is from Mt. Cerro Potosi, maybe your salvia is too.
Salvia microphylla 'Wild Watermelon'
"Exuberant" best describes the way extra large, deep watermelon-pink flowers dress up this robust, relatively cold resistant Salvia.
Collected by Don Mahoney at 7000 ft. on Mexico's Mt. Cerro Potosi, 'Wild Watermelon' not only boasts boisterously colored blooms with white-marked throats but neat good-looking foliage and a hardy crown that spreads by layering itself. Most abundant in spring and fall and only sporadically over the summer, its high-spirited floral hues invite a glance either spotlighted in a favorite pot, or backed by white blooming Cistus in the mixed border. Zone 6/7.

Blooms May-June & again in September-October.

Size: 3'-4' high x 4' wide; hardy to zone 7.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5