Re: plant suggestions please

> Pictures 1a, 1b, 1c - are different angles of the same area. This is good
> soil, drains well, but will occasionally get drowned if the pond decides to
> leak- Normally, I catch that when I get home, so it isn't like that for
> days, and does drain out quickly- kinda like oops-leaving the hose on all
> day. For the most part it is full sun, but the trees are growing.  Note the
> rock - there is a pipe running underground there to the filter, so the plant
> can not break it with it's root system.

How much water does this get when it's not flooding?

> Picture 2- Other side of this waterfall. Got a small area that is shade. Not
> sure what I want to do there. Might just let it be, as in somewhere to rest
> your eye. Same scenario with soil and water as picture 1, but this is
> crowded out by the bald cypress for light.

I could see this as a bed of Geranium macrorrhizum, possibly 'Ingerweson's
Variety'.  It's a nice shell pink, isn't too vigorous to take over, but still
tolerates drought and moisture in the shade.  It also has good fall color.

I think the color would go quite well with Brunnera macrophylla 'Jack Frost',
and both would probably grow well there.

> Picture 3- no clue why two plants died there this winter. It is a raised bed
> with great soil, full sun. Need something in front of the angel.

I'm not sure what the scale is, but here's what I envision...

To the left, Sedum 'Purple Emperor'.  The color would really stand out
in front of the other plants and would draw on the blue of the angel.

In front of the angel, Armeria maritima 'Bloodstone'.

All the way in the front, hanging over the wall, Chiastophyllum
oppositifolium 'Goldtropfchen'.  It looks a lot like a green sedum
except when it's blooming; the flowers then hang down like little
mimosa blooms.  There's a great picture at

   http://hort.net/+13ep

(Their hardiness listing is wrong; it grows fine in Chicago).  If there's
too much sun there, Sedum 'Angelina' might work instead.

Or you could put Ruellia humilis against the wall, but I'd really like to
see something yellow there.

If you want to be bold, Opuntia humifusa (a native cactus) would be a
real eye-catcher and could fill the whole area.

> Picture 4- This bed hasn't been cleaned up yet, but I did take out a plant
> that is now elsewhere cause it got too big. The big hole in front is not my
> concern, as those other two plants will close that in- but behind against
> the building? Been thinking for a year what to put there, but haven't come
> up with anything good. It gets HOT there (western exposure), full sun, soil
> is ok, but could be better. Drainage has never been an issue there.

How much moisture is there?  How much space do you have?

A couple of options might be Philadelphus microphyllus or Philadelphus x
lemoinei 'Manteau d'Hermine'.  If you can allow something 4-5' tall,
Hydrangea paniculata 'Little Lamb' might be a good choice; the H.
paniculata cultivars are much more drought-tolerant than other Hydrangeas.

I could also see a great, full display of coneflowers -- especially the
newer, brighter ones like Echinacea 'Sunset'.

> Picture 5- Front raised bed, has plenty of room for anything. Good soil,
> drains well, faces east so really only gets the morning sun.

I feel like you need a vertical, variegated accent there.  What about some
of the sedges?

That might be a better place for Chiastophyllum too -- in fact, I think it
would be perfect.  Mix it up with some of the geraniums like 'Rozanne'.

That spot could also use some yellow.  How about Hosta 'Prairie Glow'?

OK, that's my $.02 worth.   :)

Chris