Re: plant suggestions please

--- "Christopher P. Lindsey" <lindsey@mallorn.com>
wrote:

> > Pictures 1a, 1b, 1c - > > can not break it with
it's root system.

> How much water does this get when it's not flooding?

Only what nature gives it unless I actually water it.
Everything grows well there and I can push a zone
there too. Well protected by it's layout vs wind etc.
If you recall, I had a bed of queen of the prairie
there along with a few other plants (coreposis,
geraminums, geesh, I can't remember what else...) Then
John helped me and cut down all the QOP just as it was
about to bloom... right to the dirt.  They didn't
recover very well, although I did get a few back. Then
I got busy at work and no gardening, so the snow on
the mountain took over everything and smothered it all
out.  Last weekend, Mary and I sifted thru all that
dirt and tried to get every last root of that stuff
out of that hill!..hence, the what to put there now.
It is great soil there and drains well.

> > Picture 2- Other side of this waterfall.
>
> I could see this as a bed of Geranium macrorrhizum,
> possibly 'Ingerweson's
> Variety'.  It's a nice shell pink, isn't too
> vigorous to take over, but still
> tolerates drought and moisture in the shade.  It
> also has good fall color.

Great idea, but I have enough geraniums...there must
be one or two varieties in each of my beds now...can
you say I have overdone them throughout the garden.:)

> I think the color would go quite well with Brunnera
> macrophylla 'Jack Frost',
> and both would probably grow well there.

I went back to look at the picture- HOW did you know
this plant in on the other side of the tree- you can't
see it in the picture?

> > Picture 3-
>
> I'm not sure what the scale is, but here's what I
> envision...

That space is about 3 ft wide and 4 ft long.

The angel can easily be moved....she is getting a bit
tacky looking- her wings rusted out LOL!

> To the left, Sedum 'Purple Emperor'.  The color
> would really stand out
> in front of the other plants and would draw on the
> blue of the angel.

Nice idea... I have a large clump in the front raised
bed, maybe I will divide it and put some there.

> Or you could put Ruellia humilis against the wall,
> but I'd really like to
> see something yellow there.

Yellow may clash there... most things are pinky or
white in color.

> If you want to be bold, Opuntia humifusa (a native
> cactus) would be a
> real eye-catcher and could fill the whole area.

I got rid of that plant, kept cutting myself on the
thorns...

> > Picture 4-
>
> How much moisture is there?  How much space do you
> have?

Only what I water it... drains great! (sometimes too
good)

> A couple of options might be Philadelphus
> microphyllus or Philadelphus x
> lemoinei 'Manteau d'Hermine'.

Thinking this would be too big... I need height- but
only about 2 1/3- 3 ft wide. It is also against the
foundation, so worried about that too! I would love to
see a weeping conifer there, but ....

Anyone know how wide coppertina gets? Can I prune it
to stay narrow? Bought one yesterday cause I loved the
color... now to figure out where to put it!

If you can allow
> something 4-5' tall,
> Hydrangea paniculata 'Little Lamb' might be a good
> choice; the H.
> paniculata cultivars are much more drought-tolerant
> than other Hydrangeas.

I already tried Hydrangeas there- too hot- they fry
and wilt by the time I get home from work each day.
Yes, they spring back when watered, but stress...

> I could also see a great, full display of
> coneflowers -- especially the
> newer, brighter ones like Echinacea 'Sunset'.

I guess you need to see the other side of that front
raised bed- there already is a huge area of
coneflowers- all different kinds.

> > Picture 5- Front raised bed, has plenty of room
> for anything. Good soil,
> > drains well, faces east so really only gets the
> morning sun.
>
> I feel like you need a vertical, variegated accent
> there.  What about some
> of the sedges?
>
> That might be a better place for Chiastophyllum too
> -- in fact, I think it
> would be perfect.

I think so too... It would compliment the Lorraine
sunshine on the other side.

> That spot could also use some yellow.  How about
> Hosta 'Prairie Glow'?

One of those small plants there is fire and ice... but
doesn't seem to be happy. sigh.

> OK, that's my $.02 worth.   :)
>
> Chris

Thanks! Seriously, I think you and Bonnie need to stop
here someday... betting after seeing everything else
growing here, you two would come up with the perfect
plants :)

Donna