Re: plant suggestions please

> > > Pictures 1a, 1b, 1c - > > can not break it with
> it's root system.
> >
> > How much water does this get when it's not flooding?
> Only what nature gives it unless I actually water it.

I really want to see something 'spiky' or vertical there, but I don't
think you want to block the view to the other side.

How about some of the spring-blooming, dwarf iris like 'Brassie',
'Little Sapphire', or 'Serenity Prayer'?  'Little Sapphire would match
the existing colors (a beautiful baby blue), but 'Brassie' would pop
out (a great pure yellow).

I have pics somewhere if you want to see them.

> > I could see this as a bed of Geranium macrorrhizum,
> > possibly 'Ingerweson's Variety'.  It's a nice shell pink
> >
> > I think the color would go quite well with Brunnera
> > macrophylla 'Jack Frost', and both would probably grow well there.
> I went back to look at the picture- HOW did you know
> this plant in on the other side of the tree- you can't
> see it in the picture?

Umm, great minds think alike?  :)  I really do think that the geranium
would look good there (but only 'Ingerwerson's Variety' -- other plants
would be too dark).

> > Or you could put Ruellia humilis against the wall,
> > but I'd really like to
> > see something yellow there.
> Yellow may clash there... most things are pinky or
> white in color.

Ahh.  I have another idea then.  I just received a new plant the other
day and absolutely *love* it:  Scutellaria resinosa 'Smoky Hills'. The
leaves are grayish-green on a 10" high plant that likes dry, well-drained
soils in full sun.  The flowers almost look like an annual lobelia in
shape, but are a dusky purple with two white stripes.  I'm *really* happy
with this plant.

And of course, I love Ruellia humilis too.  :)

> > A couple of options might be Philadelphus
> > microphyllus or Philadelphus x
> > lemoinei 'Manteau d'Hermine'.
> Thinking this would be too big... I need height- but
> only about 2 1/3- 3 ft wide. It is also against the
> foundation, so worried about that too! I would love to
> see a weeping conifer there, but ....

Actually, it sounds like it might be too *small*.  'Manteau d'Hermine
is about 3' x 3' and P. microphyllus is a little smaller in each

> Anyone know how wide coppertina gets? Can I prune it
> to stay narrow? Bought one yesterday cause I loved the
> color... now to figure out where to put it!

It has an oval habit to it, so it should probably get about 6' wide and
8' high.  You could prune it, but I would do it by hand with pruners
instead of shearing it like a hedge.

> If you can allow
> > something 4-5' tall,
> > Hydrangea paniculata 'Little Lamb' might be a good
> > choice; the H.
> > paniculata cultivars are much more drought-tolerant
> > than other Hydrangeas.
> I already tried Hydrangeas there- too hot- they fry
> and wilt by the time I get home from work each day.
> Yes, they spring back when watered, but stress...

Even the H. paniculata types?  I don't think I've ever seen one wilt.  But
they might be too wide for the space too.

I really want to see something that climbs there.  If it was watered I'd
suggest Clematis with some superabsorbent polymers added to the soil to
help it keep moist.  Actually, the viticella hybrids might do well.
Something like Clematis viticella 'Betty Corning' on a trellis, then put
something low at its feet to keep the roots shaded.

> > > Picture 5- Front raised bed, has plenty of room
> > for anything. Good soil,
> > > drains well, faces east so really only gets the
> > morning sun.
> >
> > I feel like you need a vertical, variegated accent
> > there.  What about some
> > of the sedges?
> >
> > That might be a better place for Chiastophyllum too
> > -- in fact, I think it
> > would be perfect.
> I think so too... It would compliment the Lorraine
> sunshine on the other side.

Hooray!  We found one!

> > That spot could also use some yellow.  How about
> > Hosta 'Prairie Glow'?
> One of those small plants there is fire and ice... but
> doesn't seem to be happy. sigh.

I've found that Fire and Ice tends to be kind of greedy when it comes
to water.  Of course, all hosta like lots of water anyhow...

An even better choice than 'Prairie Glow' might be 'Hoosier Harmony'.
It still likes the standard 1" of water weekly that most hosta prefer,
but it also thrives in high heat and humidity.  It was introduced by
the Indiana Hosta Society as a great plant for the Midwest.