More weather, and other stuff

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: More weather, and other stuff
  • From: "Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 11:17:56 -0700

I guess we are back to Dirt Days - the forecast is calling for winds
greater than 50mph today. It has been building up for a couple days now,
I drove through the dirt clouds last night going home. I'm trying to
decide which is hardest on my spring garden - the howling winds or the
90F unseasonable temps we had last weekend. What a choice! At least with
the high temps I could enjoy being outside even if the garden was
When it was hot I was noticing all the bees. My spanish lavender was
covered with them, I think every blossom had a bee on it, hundreds and
hundreds of them. Many more than I usually see. I don't know if we have
more bees than usual or if I have more food for them than anywhere else.

On the plus side, I am now able to sit on the ground to weed, I still
need my chair to help me get up again, but I can see normal movement
will be possible before too long. Woohoo! I won't be riding for a while
because we have some weekend commitments coming up, but I suppose that
gives everything a chance to heal up really well before I get on again.
There's still ground squirrels in the garden, and way too many rabbits.
There is a small patch of grass out by the horse corrals, maybe 4 feet
square, it's where we toss the hose after filling horse troughs so it
gets water splashed. I went out to feed the other night and there were 5
rabbits munching away. They didn't even move till I got very close.
Grrrr, I told husband he had better start taking the pellet gun with
him. If they stopped with the grass all would be well but they are going
after my pea plants (of course) and soon they'll notice the lettuce. I
wish I could see them getting in, I keep plugging holes in the fence but
they are amazing at finding new ones.