Re: Ruskin Tomato Festival/banana sandwiches

I had a new version of a banana sandwich is Ireland last week. For breakfast one morning I ordered a banana and honey bagel. Open faced, lightly toasted bagel, with banana slices and honey on the side to drizzle over it. Yummy!! Why hadn't I ever thought of that?

Aplfgcnys@aol.com wrote:
Kitty, in my family a sandwich was mostly finger-food for parties, teas,
etc.  made with thin-sliced white bread with the crusts cut off and cut
into small triangles.  Banana sandwiches and tomato sandwiches were
mostly seen at church picnics and the annual family reunion.  Fillings
for party sandwiches were mostly pimento-cheese spread or ham
Sliced white bread was never served with meals.  In fact, other than
these events it was only used for toast for breakfast. My maternal grandmother who raised me, used to use the fact that my paternal grandmother had been known to serve "light" bread (that was bought, sliced bread) at meals to demonstrate how uncultured she was. Cold bread of any sort was just not considered proper. Of
course my paternal grandmother was an excellent cook and needle-
woman, neither of which the other one was, but no matter.  In my old
age I can laugh at the snobberies - each side feeling superior to the
other for really petty reasons - and the same situation with my in-laws. That's why I try to stay out of my sons' marital relationships.