Re: determinate

You're in for a treat and a surprise. Tomato is one fruit where "home grown" can really make a difference. You pick them vine ripe and bypass hundreds of middlemen when you eat them. You will likely discover that you'll eat many of them, if not most, before they even get inside the house.

On May 26, 2007, at 4:37 PM, Kitty wrote:

Thanks Auralie & Jim. Before asking I did refresh myself on the difference between det and indet, but was not aware that vines are usually indet and that cherries are usually indet or that cherries are usually vines, or, for that matter that Swt Baby Girl was a vine rather than a bush - although I think Ceres did mention it might get 8 ft tall, leading me to think vine.

I haven't grown any food in my life other than tomatoes and only tried that twice and that was years ago, so it's all new to me. 3 to 4 weeks! Wow, that seems quick! I'll let you know how they do. Thanks.

neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, May 26, 2007 1:41 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] determinate

Kitty, the Totally Tomatoes catalog says 'Sweet Baby Girl' is
Indeterminate, which is what I would expect.  I don't know of
any determinate cherry tomatoes - what would be the point?
Totally Tomatoes lists it as 65 days to maturity, which is a
bit slower than some.  I would guess you should have edible
fruit in about three weeks from flowers, but a lot will depend
on weather. If nights are not warm enough, the flowers will
not set fruit. Night temperatures are critical for tomato
production - but I'm sure you know all that.

In a message dated 05/26/2007 1:26:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,