Hey Theresa and anybody else in the greater N. Ca area...Barbara?
May 3-- The
San Francisco Botanical Gardens each spring throws what it claims is the
largest plant sale in the area, featuring 20,000 plants -- 4,000 different
kinds -- many exclusive to the garden's nursery and all suitable for Bay Area
gardens. The sale is popular because it's a place to find rare and unusual
plants not found at other regional plant sales or commercial nurseries.
Knowledgeable volunteers are available to answer questions. Sale also includes
a big selection of new and used books and garden gifts. For tips on surviving
the sale with the least aggravation and greatest satisfaction, go online to
sfbotanicalgarden.org and click on the Spring Plant Sale link. 10 a.m. to 2
p.m. Special preview sale for members 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. May 2. 9th Avenue at
Lincoln Way in Golden Gate Park. 415-661-1316.
But I'm conflicted because:
May 3-4-- 31st annual Rhododendron Show and Sale featuring locally grown
hybrids. 1:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday. Mendocino
Coast Botanical Gardens, 18220 N. Highway 1, Fort Bragg. 964-4352.
I am in the
market for rhodies and azaleas but I'm also looking for the unusual as well.
I may have to head to both but I have a lot of homework.  Oh whoa is me, what
shall I do?  One is an hour south of me and the other is an hour and a half
north.  Sheesh!  Such choices.