Re: Why do I do these things?

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: Why do I do these things?
  • From: "Pam Evans" <gardenqueen@gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 18:03:12 -0500
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=PbdSWLMRHyWJtKnEq/yFVPm/612OD9KezePYnzW4S+4=; b=ibDUWrMtY3skb6fRzMhg6qLIK1JIrRFuvlYI99SxDkCVEPjafOXTBFU0wQSsNqa9VyXI4rsJaYtot97in7CZNiD0nFHinffbtMIZ01z3cpwLWvM3sUD1Sh2ywoe0ypZdqCZlkppef1iKMwESnVaK87CK0R0Miavs38VMhK3c+z4=

Because you're a good person and you like to share.  :-)

> My little garden club had planned to have its meeting on
> Wildflower Island at Teatown Lake Reservation where there
> are oodles of pink lady slippers and other fascinating things
> in bloom (our president is curator of the island) next Monday,
> but now rain is forecast.  We need the rain desperately - it is
> raining lightly today but we are way behind for the season - so
> though it's too bad for our meeting we won't complain.  However,
> I had to be too eager and say why don't I bring some slides of
> wildflowers and we can meet at Lasdon where we normally meet
> anyway.  Of course there were no objections.
> I have taken pictures of wildflowers almost obsessively over the
> years, so knew I had lots of them.  I have a program of Protected
> Plant List slides that I give regularly at our Horticulture Schools,
> but everybody had already seen them at least once, so next I dug
> through the pile of carousels.  Grandchildren, cats, home garden
> in each season, numerous trips, but none specifically of wildflowers.
> Then I began poking around in the boxes of loose slides.  Ouch!
> At least many of them were categorized in boxes, so I did find
> quite a lot of bunches of wildflowers from various places.  I have
> spent the entire afternoon on this project and finally have put
> together two carousels - one 80-slide one of mainly Southwestern
> plants and one of 140 slides of just about everywhere else.
> Of course in the middle of things a slide got jammed and I had to
> spend half an hour working that thing out.  I know, I know, slides are
> sooo old-fashioned.  Everybody uses power point these days, but I
> am just not into that technology yet.  I still have about a hundred
> slides left, and some of them quite good, but I have run out of
> empty carousels, and i'm just too tired to look at another one anyway.
> Why do I do these things?
> Auralie
> **************Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family
> favorites at AOL Food.