Re: Bathroom plant question

Croton would be a good choice. Especially a "corkscrew" croton--very colorful somewhat slow grower.

On May 18, 2008, at 4:28 PM, Kitty wrote:

Auralie, I don't really do houseplants, but my niece recently asked me what to get and I basically told her she can only get what is available. So I checked available plants and one that she can't grow because her situation is low light and low humidity is croton. I got her a darling croton anyway and she found a bright window for it. I'm thinking your friend's bathroom might have the right conditions for it. She might find the colors too garish for her bathroom, but they are sure a wake-me-up!

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, May 18, 2008 6:57 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Bathroom plant question

I have just received an email from a friend I haven't heard from in a long
time.
She tells me that she is moving to a retirement home with a huge wheel-chair- ready bathroom. She says she always secretly admired and envied the plants I had growing in my bathrooms, and asked if I would give her a list of plants
that she might grow in her new place.

Well, it just happens that my last bathroom plant got too big for the space
and
I have not replaced it. When I tried to think of a list to give her, I
couldn't come
up with much. I have grown Kalanchoes there from time to time, but they
usually
get ratty after a few months, and I throw them out. Of course there is always Philodendron, and I once had a very nice dwarf Platycodon that thrived for a
few
years. I grown ferns elsewhere in the house, so I suppose they would work in bathrooms, too, and I have a friend who grows orchids in her bathroom, but I
have
never tried that.

This group is the source of all knowledge, so help me out with a list of
plants
for bathrooms. My friend seems to think I know more than I do. Really, I
just
put in whatever was handy or looked right, and usually it worked. Help me
keep my reputation as a knowledgeable person.

Auralie

favorites at AOL Food.

Island Jim
Willamette Valley