annuals

Hey guys
I have a nagging question and I have probably already asked this or
someone has but I'm afraid I don't remember the answer.  What constitutes an
annual?  Yes, I know they die and don't come back but is that because we have
taken them out of their natural environment or because that's what they are
supposed to do.  I have some annuals that winter over like petunias and
alyssum etc.  I was also thinking of attempting to overwinter my New Guinea
impatiens.
So, what's the real scoop on annuals?
David