This has been a strange spring.  Very gloomy and cool but not much
rain - in fact it has been terribly dry.  There have been sprinkles from
time to time, but barely enough to settle the dust.  The pavement under
trees won't be wet.  We seem to be in a dry pocket - areas near here
are not nearly so dry.  We were at Lasdon Park & Arboretum about 15
miles away the other day and rain was falling briskly, but when we got
home, no rain.  We hear of heavy rains on Long Island and in New Jersey
but they all go south of us.
Today rain was predicted, but this morning was brilliantly sunny.  This
afternoon we had a good old-fashioned Hudson Valley thunder storm -
remember Rip VanWinkle? - about half an hour of rumbling thunder.  The
rain came down for maybe ten minutes, and now the sun is again
shining brightly.
So far, it has also been unusually cool - I have lots of things that need
planting out, but I haven't felt it was safe.  This is supposed to be the
frost-free date, but it has been so cool - often not out of the 50s in the
daytime and 30s or 40s at night.  There hasn't been an actual frost for
a couple of weeks, but it's been close several times.  Of course it will
probably turn off stinkin hot next week.  I have Caladium bulbs to
plant, but they specify 65-70 degree temperatures, so I don't dare put
them out, and I don't have room to start them indoors.  Oh well.  I'm
sure summer will come even if it's not a very satisfactory spring.

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.