RE: What's happening here
  • Subject: RE: What's happening here
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 13:27:19 -0700

I hoped a new rooster would help, just need to find a grown one. Can't
cover it...their 20' x 40' enclosed area contains not only their little
coop, but two trees, a storage shed, and eight gold arborvitae.  Never
even considered needing to cover it, we don't have many predators here
and we haven't had a problem with the ravens though they've been nesting
nearby for years. We see the occasional red-tail hawk but never saw them
try to hunt.
We can make a smaller covered pen to attach to the coop, that will give
more room until the ravens leave for the year and we get a new rooster.
And at least the critters didn't get my favorite hen, a golden-laced
If we ever get more chickens I would like to have ones that lay
chocolate-brown eggs.