Re: news of the day

Well, Pam, I think greed has been with the human race since we
started walking upright.  Just seems there are fewer societal
restraints on it now than there used to be - or maybe just more
opportunities for people to indulge.  Being greedy used to be frowned
upon; now it seems to be the norm.

I also think that the relative wealth and size of our "middle class"
encourages greed - as does our consumer oriented society.  Used to be
- for the vast majority of people - that ' use it 'til it wears out,
then do without' was how things worked.

During the depression, my Mom had 1 dress she wore every day to high
school - it had removable collar and cuffs - think she told me there
were 2 sets - she washed them out every night and alternated them.
Before her time, few but the upper classes and  wealthy had more than
one garment for every day wear and one for 'best'...the old "Sunday
Best" (even when I was a child, we still had our "Sunday Best"
outfit; worn only on Sunday or for very special occasions).  Today,
people have closets bursting with clothes and keep on buying them
although what they have is perfectly good.

Now, we have a throwaway society in this country; all closely tied to
our entire economic operation - and that operation is now closely
knit to the rest of the world economy; was just reading an article in
the paper today about how almost every Christmas decoration or fake
tree sold here in the US is made in China; so if we don't buy new
Christmas goodies, it now adversely affects some poor Chinese person
earning a big $100/month.  Sort of an unending circle.

When society operated on a cash basis, people could only get what
they could actually afford to pay for up front; most did without.
Once we got a credit based society, everybody can get about anything
if they have plastic and people do...so we're always in debt (at
least a lot are) while accumulating lots of 'stuff' that we really
don't actually need, but providing thousands of jobs in hundreds of
related industries.  If everybody cut back to getting only what they
needed; millions would be out of work all over the world...

The reverse side of this coin is that all the greedy consumerism
provides better paying jobs and higher standards of living to more
people than ever before in the history of mankind.

So, how do you strike a happy medium....keeping up people's standard
of living but eliminating the greed as SOP factor?  Can it be done?
I would hope that we - as a society - can at least put some curbs on
the current trends.  The scandals about salaries for the big
corporation CEO's is a small start - if it doesn't just fizzle out.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: Pamela J. Evans <gardenqueen@gbronline.com>
>
> Bonnie & Marge, I've been turning that soapbox over for years.
Don't
> understand greed, never have, but it is evil and is undermining
every
> society it touches. Priorities these days are severely messed up.
The
> sooner ALL get hip to that, the better off we'll be. But try to
preach
> that sermon and people look at you like you have two heads or
sprouted
> horns or something. My cousin and her husband just returned from
Russia
> where they were picking up their newly adopted kids and she told me
most
> Americans would be appalled at the conditions these people live in.
Even