Re: OT throw away society

Boy!  Am I with youse guys!  Seems like the useful life of anything
gets shorter every year.  I wonder where it will end sometimes.  In
my family, we tend to keep things and use them until they
disintegrate and then try to find some use for the bits:-), but seems
to me that's what you should be able to do and things shouldn't be
built to fall apart in a year, especially when you consider what
anything costs these days.  I'm showing my age, but I've developed
the same habit my Mom had....take a current price and divide it by 3
to get an idea of what it really costs in the dollar terms that were
seared into my brain years ago:-)

It's like we're in some consumer whirlwind where you have to buy
something new to replace the thing you just got only a year ago
because some vital bit of it died and can't be fixed....even if it
could, the parts can't be found and even if they could, a human
capable of fixing it or willing to fix it does not exist, or if the
parts exist and that human fixer exists, they want twice what you
paid for the item to fix it, which is really hard to justify since
the new version costs less......round and round and round.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :