Re: Winter & What's in Bloom

Well, Jim, your "winter" sounds like a lovely early fall in MD:-)  I
have exactly 1 plant still blooming- my climbing aster; well, that's
not exactly true as the pansies the slugs haven't eaten are
blooming...all else is history.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Spring Peepers
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: james singer <jsinger@igc.org>
>
> Winter seems to have arrived. It has been getting down into the low
50s
> at night recently. Still in the high 70s, low 80s in the
afternoons,
> though. And the air is very dry for a change.
>
> Lots of plants are blooming--or still blooming, especially the
> allamandas, begonias, Mexican petunias [also called Florida
bluebells],
> ground orchids, crown of thorns, and various jatrophas. And the
> poinsettias are beginning to color up.
>
> Most spectacular now, however, is the Turk's cap, Malvaviscus
arboreus.
> There is a house not far from the plantation that has a Turk's cap
> hedge along the street; must be hundreds, if not thousands, of
blooms
> on it. Really spectacular.
>
> This is also our bedding plant season. The garden centers at
Wal-Mart