From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Kitty
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2003 10:12 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT]tolerance of lack of same

> scorned, ignored, ridiculed, vilified and ostracized for my choice for a
> long time. Jesse's best friend from KC questioned my "orientation"

Pam,
A woman I worked with made that suggestion to me because I questioned why
she wouldn't change her own tire.  I think people who are caught off guard
like to use that as a tactic to push someone's buttons.  This woman had a
flat tire, left the car somewhere and got a lift to work and called her
husband (an airline pilot) to leave work and come fix her tire.  You could
tell by the phone conversation that it would not be easy for him to leave
work - but on this end you could tell she planned to make his life hell if
he didn't.  I asked her why she didn't do it herself.  She sputtered, "What
do you think I got married for?!"  And then she laid into me about my
'sexual orientation' because I can change a tire.  I thought this was funny
because she knew I'd been married twice, and besides, I wouldn't consider it
an insult - but I also wouldn't consider it to have any bearing on fixing a
flat.

> ... I know it's not a usual lifestyle in a world of couples

Living alone is not unusual.  Lots of people do.  As long as it works for
you and you have the network of friends you want and need (including Sugar),
there is no need to feel odd-man-out.  I've been alone since '89 and frankly
these 14 years have been much better for me than the previous 14.  I don't
understand why anyone would give you a hard time for being single and
orientation is nobody's business.

Kitty