Re: throw away society

The head of that Math Department obviously didn't know about Grace Hopper, who had a PhD in Math from Yale, taught math for ten years at Vassar, then at 37 joined the Navy (WWII) and worked on the the development of the MARK I and UNIVAC I computers, developed COBOL computer language. Then after discharge from the Navy continued in both industry and academia until 1967 when she was recalled to active duty at age 51 to head the Naval Data Automation Command (I may not have that name exactly right). When she retired from the Navy in 1986, she was a rear admiral, and the oldest flag officer on active duty.