From: Bonnie & Bill Morgan [mailto: wmorgan972@ameritech.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 18:43:12 -0500
Subject: RE: [CHAT] throw away society now milkweed pods

Melody, Mother would split the pod in half and remove any remaining
seed.<br>She painted the outside of the pod in whatever color matched
the scheme she<br>was going after. Some of the prettiest were golds or
greens. She painted<br>the interior of the pod with white glue and shook
in glitter. When that all<br>dried, she would use jewelry findings
and/or the teeniest ornamental figures<br>(deer, a caroler, a Santa,
snow men, stars, a tiny nativity, etc.) and glue<br>that to the back of
the interior of the pod--all this before glue guns were<br>invented,
LOL! [One could us blue glitter as a background for silver stars<br>or
with a small crystal dangling from the top of the pod. Your
imagination<br>is the only limit.] She ran gold braid (very thin) or
some other thin trim<br>glued along the edges to make it look gilded,
with a loop of the trim above<br>the top edge of the pod large enough to
hang the ornament. She sometimes<br>put puffs of cotton on the interior
to mimic clouds or snow banks, too.<br>These days, I believe you could
paint the interior with a color and use one<br>of the translucent
glitters for more color variations. The down side? The<br>ones mother
made me only lasted 20 years. They just don't last forever.
owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
gardenchat@hort.net<br>Subject: RE: [CHAT] throw away society now
milkweed pods<br><br>Ooh! Bonnie: Tell me more about these milkweed
ornaments...grow tons of<br>the stuff and have yet to figure out what to
IA (Z 5/4)<br><br>"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the
Bill Morgan < wmorgan972@ameritech.net > wrote:<br>From: Bonnie & Bill
Morgan [mailto: wmorgan972@ameritech.net]<br>To:

gardenchat@hort.net<br>Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 09:06:31 -0500<br>Subject:
RE: [CHAT] throw away society<br><br>LOL!!! You're absolutely right.
Mother won a full blown art scholarship<br>in<br>high school, but her
mother wouldn't let her take it. Grandma<br>thought art<br>was nonsense
and the thought that mom might do better<br>than she had
things. She used to take milkweed<br>pods and make them<br>into the most
beautiful ornaments. I'm glad to be
owner-gardenchat@hort.net<br>[mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
<gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent: Friday,<br>November 21, 2003 6:12
remember right, the older albums were<br>made from bakelite (sp?)<br>>
rather than vinyl. I have some that go<br>back to Santa Bill's
grandfather's<br>> old Victrola. (We still have<br>that, too.) I
wouldn't play vinyl on the<br>> Victrola for fear of<br>tearing up the
vinyl. The old bakelite albums were<br>> also very<br>brittle and broke
soften them. She shaped them into all sorts of pretty shapes<br>and<br>>
painted them. Most became bowls for fruit or catch alls, but it<br>sure

gardenchat@hort.net<br>> Subject: Re: [CHAT]<br>throw away
Some in mono too. The<br>> original recording of the Sound of
Music<br>and West Side Story are mono.<br>> Those albums are heavier
Original Message<br>----------------------------------<br>> From:
8:24:43 PM Eastern Standard<br>Time,<br>> >mtalt@clubhouse-designs.com
Even audio tapes are becoming obsolete and<br>replaced by CDs. I<br>>
>wanted to make some tapes for my new grandson<br>from favorite old
>I guess my large collection of LPs may be collectibles,<br>and I
favorites,<br>but if everything has to be on CD<br>> >nowadays, what's
the use.<br>Auralie<br>>
sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with
sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with
the<br>><br>message text UNSUBSCRIBE