Hi guys

Well this election was a disappointment for me as well.  Much of the fault has
to be layed at the feet of the campaigner.  Kerry was terrible and probably
deserved to lose.  I too am fearful of the future more so for the Supreme
Court selections than for what Bush will do in the next four years.  I hope he
doesn't use his "mandate" to select extremist judges or we will be paying for
this election for a very long time.

The reason I'm writing this is not to predict doom and gloom for the future.
I fear political extremes of any type right or left.  I would not like to live
under an exteme left politician any more than I would a rightest.  Leftist (I
don't use the word liberal because using that term as deragatory is silly.
Thomas Jefferson was liberal as were many of our founding fathers.  If they
weren't we'd still be living under a king) tend to tell others how to live
their lives as they think they know better what is right and wrong.  I can't
stand government as big brother any more than I like unfettered conservatism.
However this country's political make up seems to be extremes either right or
left.  There is no compromise anymore which is the essence of politics.

We have become so intransigient in this country with nobody caring what is
said or what facts are presented.  We simply will not back down from even an
indefensible position.  Like those who say that there is no such thing as
evolution and that the earth began 10,000 years ago.  Or that it's ok to spray
somebody with paint because they are wearing a fur coat.  Both of these
things, from opposite sides of the political spectrum, are ridiculous and yet
adherents will justify their beliefs and actions.  We will never move forward
as a nation as long as people live in proverbial trenches.  At some point we
have to say "what is best for the country and not just my narrow interests".
We seem to have lost our way and we must fix it.  Yes, my side lost this
election but that doesn't mean the end of the world.  What it does mean is
that we didn't deliver our message very well but it will be better for
ourselves and our country if we remain engaged.  We can work with others who
don't agree with us by being polite and empathetic to their feelings.  The
people who voted the opposite way are not blind, deaf and dumb.  They simply
see things we don't or don't put as much faith in.  That doesn't make them
wrong.  They are still our neighbor and our fellow countryman and their
opinion is just as valuable as ours.  Perhaps if we take the time to listen to
each other instead of just thinking of our next point we might find we are
closer to each other than we think.

Lastly to make this point stronger.  Ever since the late 70's or so we have
been the generation of greed.  It really is time to start thinking of the
greater good instead of just ourselves.  This includes business, economics,
social and cultural issues.  We are so self absorbed now that people rarely
donate their time or energy into anything except their own hedonistic
activities.  The more we talk and the more we do things with and for others
the faster we'll heal and the better we'll all be.

Republicans congratulations.  You won.  You now have the honor of leading our
country.  Lead well please my kids are counting on you.