From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of David Franzman
Sent: Friday, November 05, 2004 12:38 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] election

Hi guys

Well this election was a disappointment for me as well.  Much of the
fault has to be layed at the feet of the campaigner.  Kerry was terrible
and probably deserved to lose.  I too am fearful of the future more so
for the Supreme Court selections than for what Bush will do in the next
four years.  I hope he doesn't use his "mandate" to select extremist
judges or we will be paying for this election for a very long time.

The reason I'm writing this is not to predict doom and gloom for the
future. I fear political extremes of any type right or left.  I would
not like to live under an exteme left politician any more than I would a
rightest.  Leftist (I don't use the word liberal because using that term
as deragatory is silly. Thomas Jefferson was liberal as were many of our
founding fathers.  If they weren't we'd still be living under a king)
tend to tell others how to live their lives as they think they know
better what is right and wrong.  I can't stand government as big brother
any more than I like unfettered conservatism. However this country's
political make up seems to be extremes either right or left.  There is
no compromise anymore which is the essence of politics.

We have become so intransigient in this country with nobody caring what
is said or what facts are presented.  We simply will not back down from
even an indefensible position.  Like those who say that there is no such
thing as evolution and that the earth began 10,000 years ago.  Or that
it's ok to spray somebody with paint because they are wearing a fur
coat.  Both of these things, from opposite sides of the political
spectrum, are ridiculous and yet adherents will justify their beliefs
and actions.  We will never move forward as a nation as long as people
live in proverbial trenches.  At some point we have to say "what is best
for the country and not just my narrow interests". We seem to have lost
our way and we must fix it.  Yes, my side lost this election but that
doesn't mean the end of the world.  What it does mean is that we didn't
deliver our message very well but it will be better for ourselves and
our country if we remain engaged.  We can work with others who don't
agree with us by being polite and empathetic to their feelings.  The
people who voted the opposite way are not blind, deaf and dumb.  They
simply see things we don't or don't put as much faith in.  That doesn't
make them wrong.  They are still our neighbor and our fellow countryman
and their opinion is just as valuable as ours.  Perhaps if we take the
time to listen to each other instead of just thinking of our next point
we might find we are closer to each other than we think.

Lastly to make this point stronger.  Ever since the late 70's or so we
have been the generation of greed.  It really is time to start thinking
of the greater good instead of just ourselves.  This includes business,
economics, social and cultural issues.  We are so self absorbed now that
people rarely donate their time or energy into anything except their own
hedonistic activities.  The more we talk and the more we do things with
and for others the faster we'll heal and the better we'll all be.

Republicans congratulations.  You won.  You now have the honor of
leading our country.  Lead well please my kids are counting on you.

DF

http://www.hort.net/funds/

http://www.hort.net/funds/