Re: Allergies and Gardening

I assume if you have an allergist that you have been tested for specific allergies. Are you allergic to pollen?, molds?, everything? If it is pollen, you will have symptoms only when the plants you are allergic to are pollinating, so perhaps can plan your gardening activities around those seasons, somewhat. Molds are more problematic as far as avoidance is concerned. Regardless, here are some suggestions that may help: wear a good quality mask when working in the yard, especially when cutting grass and weeding. When you are done for the day, take a shower, wash hair, and then wash your gardening clothes. Medication prior to working in the garden as suggested by some of the others is also a good idea. And do discuss allergy shots with your doctor - they work for many folks.
Cathy