From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of kmrsy@comcast.net
Sent: Saturday, November 06, 2004 4:01 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] lunch special

I went home on my lunch break today. Nice out, but windy. 3 of my cats
were lounging in the storm-windowed Florida room, but came in to see me
(anything new to eat?) I usually keep the sliding door to that room open
for them and from there they can go outside through an opening. But I
saw a slow movement outside just as I was about to come in.

I just stared. There he was. Woody! He's a light orange cat that used to
come stay here during the winters. 2 winters ago he showed up with the
whole side of his head torn. I tried to catch him and it was a disaster
and he didn't come back. Last fall he came by looking so scrawny and he
had to contend with Slugger (at that time known as Bootsie by his
previous owner) who was also trying to lay claim to the Florida room.
Big fight - my driveway was covered in orange fur. Woody never came
back. I was sure he couldn't make it through the winter.

But here he is. He looks a hundred years old, but he has filled out so
he must have found some kindness somewhere. He mosied over to the west
wall and plunked down to rest. I locked my cats in and gave him a little
time to rest and then I ventured out with a bowl of food. He bolted
round the north side of the house. I raised the bowl up for him to see,
did the 'here, kitty' thing and left the bowl on the mulch at the nw
corner of the house. I went in to check from a window to see if he was
coming back and he was! I followed to the back bedroom overlooking the
food. And there he was munching away. Really did my heart good.

I always felt so bad for him after scaring him out of his wits by trying
to catch him for medical attention. Then when he tried to come back he
was bullied. It's my belief that he belonged to a woman who lived near
here who died and her son just turned the cat out. I spoke to him about
it and he claimed she never had a cat. She did.

There is no way I can take in another cat, so thank goodness Woody has
no intention of letting me. but I'm going to try to make the Florida
room more available to him by keeping the others in at night. I've never
touched this cat, but he certainly has touched me.