Re: now MG

I found out that our county is doing an MG series this spring. They just finished interviewing for the class. Probably good I didn't know about this in time- got enough to do between work and school through the end of next year. But, one of these days I'm going to be a master gardener!

Theresa

kmrsy@comcast.net wrote:

I always have so many extra hours that could be used for MG hours that I don't worry too much about what is allowed and what is not.

I didn't mean our MGs would not be "allowed" to do such projects, just that they couldn't turn them in for hours. There is so much we can do for eligible hours, that it's not hard to get them. I, too, put in plenty of hours, such that I never worry about it. sometimes, though, I find it hard to work in the education hours.

Kitty

I try to instruct others on how to do it but when it comes down to getting it done I just get in there and do it myself. I have a committee of about 20 but they are so hard to get organized that it is so much easier to just "do it". The city has a parks department but they are not good at gardening. They do maintain it when we get finished planting it. I have been trying to get them to change the drip system... just because it is always broken and I think if it had some soaker hoses I could manage to fix them better by myself. I am not a very patient person when it comes to waiting for them to get it fixed. I always have so many extra hours that could be used for MG hours that I don't worry too much about what is allowed and what is not. Tricia ----- Original Message ----- From: To: Sent: Monday, November 15, 2004 9:58 AM Subject: Re: [CHAT] OT - Wonderful web tribute to the Armed forces

Tricia - you've been busy! The Fringe tree sounds like something I tried years ago but not hardy enough here. Our MGs would not be allowed to use a city park as a project, at least not the labor involved. Time spent instructing others on the project could qualify though.

Kitty

It would be wonderful if they were just run over with so many cards with the holidays coming up. Thanks for allowing me to share it on here. I am working on a project for the city though Master Gardeners. We took out 3 redbud trees (they had died to the ground one winter then came back as sprouts but never as pretty), took out yellow barberry(they seem to die out or get diseased after several years) and just replacing some things that look bad. I put in 3 American smoke trees, 1 Chokeberry (that is so beautiful right now loaded with red berries), 5 (1 gal) gold mound sprieas, dug and split variegated lirope, did the same to some very crowed "Hamlin"variety grasses. I am still trying to dig out an overgrown dwarf yaupon. The park was planted 7 years ago and so overplanted that some things have died from being planted to close. There are 3 dwarf Alberta Spruces that are so crowded that I am trying to move the dwarf yaupons from around them to give them some room. I dug up a huge planting of rain lilies to spread around. They had a very bare corner that is the most visible corner of the park that I am trying to put more color and things that don't have to be replanted every year. For several years we have planted pansies or lantana seasonally but they take lots of work and don't look good most of the year. My plan is to complete the landscape there with gold mound sprieas and the Chokeberry. I can't think of the complete name of the variety but it is the "Brilliance". When I went to pick up the smoke trees at the nursery I found the best sale on trees and came home with 10 trees. I have planted the Chinese Fringe Tree, 1 Korean Evodia Daniellii, and 3 of the Aronia chokeberries. I still need to find a place to put 3 Chinese Pistache, 1 Carolina Buckthorn, and 1 Chinquapin Oak. We have 2 acres here but this may be the end of my being able to bring home new trees without taking out something. I am trying to leave the 1 acre that we bought next to us where if someday someone else wants to build a house there they wouldn't have to cut down a 40 year old wonderful tree. Tricia zone 6b (where it is raining today and still waiting on our first killing freeze) Patricia

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bonnie & Bill Morgan" To: Sent: Monday, November 15, 2004 6:26 AM Subject: RE: [CHAT] OT - Wonderful web tribute to the Armed forces

What a great idea! Thanks so much, Patricia!

Blessings, Bonnie

-----Original Message----- From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf Of pdickson Sent: Sunday, November 14, 2004 8:28 PM To: gardenchat@hort.net Subject: Re: [CHAT] OT - Wonderful web tribute to the Armed forces

Donna, That was so moving... thanks for sharing. If any of you want to send cards for the holidays my nephew said they have about 29 soldiers in his platoon that would love to receive a card for the holidays. He offered to distribute them to the guys that don't get anything. His address is: Sgt. Shinn, Scott R

RCT-1 HQ Co

Scout Platoon

Unit# 40145

FPO AP 96426-0145