We will leave tomorrow - I hope - for our annual bird-watch Thanksgiving in
Chincoteague, Va. and Bombay Hook, Delaware.  That is if we can get our
cat-sitting situation worked out.  Haven't been able to contact the person
who usually does this for us though she told my DH several weeks ago
that she would be in touch about it.
We have been making this trip for about ten years now.  For many years
we had the whole extended family and anybody else who wasn't otherwise
tied down - up to 25 people for Thanksgiving.  Then all the young people
grew up, married and moved away.  I discovered to my dismay that my
three godchildren, who had never had Thanksgiving anywhere else in their
lives, really hated it.  I thought of this, Zem, when you told about Christmas
with relatives, and not enjoying it.  They didn't like the food, and were
with the grown-ups.  Had much rather have gone to McDonald's, I guess.
At least my sons say they enjoyed it. In fact when my oldest was in the
Navy he asked me to send him one of the menus I used to write out and
post on the mantle over the fireplace.  He said his Navy buddies didn't
believe him when he described what we served.  Oh well.
Anyway, rather than sit at home alone and feel sorry for ourselves, we
began this trip, and it has been wonderful.  We break the drive in Dover,
Delaware - it would be about eight hours if we drove straight through - get
there in time to see the sun set at  Bombay Hook, which is about 25 miles
outside of Dover.  The next morning we have another good look there
before we head down to Chincoteague.  The great attraction both places
at this time of the year is snow geese.  They are so marvelous.  There
will be lots of other shore birds, too, and Chincoteague will feature
many egrets.  We always stay at the same place which has a balcony
overlooking the bay and inland waterway, so if the weather is not good
we can spend the day watching birds right out our window.  Crab Imperial
is our traditional Thanksgiving dinner, there.

I will miss the daily updates from all you folks, but may I wish you all
the greatest Thanksgiving ever.  I have very much to be thankful for,
and the friendship of this group is one of the greatest.