From: Zemuly@aol.com
Sent: 11/24/2004 7:26:45 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] This is a Reading for Thanksgiving

In days beyond numbering, our history has been one of pilgrims seeking  a
better life.

I crossed the land bridge and drifted down through primal  wilderness
following the herds.

I watched Columbus claim my island for  his king.

I built the many storied pueblos.

I came to  America stifled in the hold of a ship.

I came as a slave, but now I am  free.

I came seeking freedom from forced military service.

I  came as a settler to Tennessee through the Cumberland gap.

I came  seeking gold in the hills of California.

I came as a criminal choosing  the American colonies rather than death.

I came as a recruit from  China to build a railroad across America.

I came seeking a new life from  the specter of hunger after the potato

I came from dark night of  concentration camps to the land of hope.

I came fleeing tyranny in  Eastern Europe after World War II.

I came as a refugee from my land torn  by war and ruled by dictatorship.

Whenever hardship assails us, the  remembrance of the humble endurance of
these pilgrims will inspire us with new  courage.

There memory is our heritage past and present.

They  help us truly celebrate thanksgiving.