Re: FYI OT: new computer vulnerability

Oh- by the way, apparently there is no fix to this problem right now- they antivirus and sony website solutions only "decloak" the spyware- they don't remove it. And apparently the Sony website solution can cause even more problems. The antivirus software programs are already updating to catch the new viruses that are using the security vulnerability that the spyware creates. So, if you haven't updated your anti-virus recently- you should do so pronto. Hopefully with all the publicity about this disaster, there will be a fix that removes the spyware completely. What I have yet to learn is whether the copy-control programs used by other CD companies are also a problem (I have a Virgin Records CD that I played on my computer- so rats!).

Theresa

Theresa wrote:

Thought you'd want to be aware of of spyware installed by copy-protected

Sony music CDs, which also is a conduit for viruses:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/technology/2005-11-10-sony-hackers_x.htm?POE=NEWISVA

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/internet/11/10/sony.hack.reut/index.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/11/AR2005111100632.html

http://blogs.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2005/11/the_bush_admini.html

Also, apparently spyware/anti-virus software has difficulty detecting the Sony malware and the viruses that it can hide.

Im writing you to express my concerns about the recent revelation
regarding root kit software that is being secretly installed on
users computers when they agree to a misleading End User License
Agreement from Sony / BMG.
According to recent research, said
software uses the same techniques used by hackers to camouflage
viruses, and other forms of mal-ware. Not only that, this software is
so poorly written as to open the host system up to other, potentially
more damaging attacks.
want you to understand that the security vulnerabilities that Sony /
BMG have inadvertently created are the kind that any competent hacker
can fly a virtual 747 into.
I urge you to read Mark Russinovichs web log entries regarding this software, and take heed his expert opinion on this matter.
Here are links to the relevant entries.
http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/sony-rootkits-and-digital-rights.html
http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/11/more-on-sony-dangerous-decloaking.html
http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/11/sonys-rootkit-first-4-internet.html