Today in the Garden

Hello All!

It doesn't seem that I have very much to tell about the garden these days.
Whenever I get a chance, I've been working on getting things rearranged,
planted, and neatened up.  This year may be a record setter for me in that I
may have all my daylilies out of pots, plastic bags, or pails of water and
planted in the ground!  I'm even almost finished planting perennials and
shrubs that needed planting.

There's always a hitch of course.  One newly renovated area is next to the
control box for the sprinkler system and something's been leaking water for
a month. This chore is one of the few things my husband takes responsibility
for in the garden. I'm glad he pays the water bill from his business
account, because it's going to be a killer! I managed to fix the toilet that
was running, so at least that's not adding to the problem! Anyway, I have
some shrubs to plant in that bed when the flooding subsides. Maybe he'll get
to it tomorrow!  LOL

I've tried to use next year's National Convention on LI as an reason for him
to help me get some things done (my garden will be an open garden), but it
hasn't helped much. I pretty much am on my own in the garden which means
things get done SLOWLY.

I am almost done planting all the bulbs that I ordered this fall. It will be
exciting next spring and summer to see everything in bloom. I planted all
kinds of bulbs to enhance my white flower garden. I'm trying Ornithogalum
magnum (Snake flower), allium cowanii, camassia leichtlini semiplens,
puschkinia libanotica 'Alba', Lilium 'White Stargazer' and scilla siberica
'Alba' for white spring and summer bloom.  I also have daffodils and tulips
planted. I counted 27 white and near white daylilies in this garden!

 I am so excited about my new spider- uf garden. There are probably about 30
daylilies planted in it.  It is a circular raised planting with stone walls
around it. Part of the wall forms a bench, and there are three steps going
up one side of the garden. I've planted diminutive spring bulbs, lots of
lilium, grasses and an assortment of perennials between the daylilies. The
steps are planted with sedum and thymes.  It is sort of a copy of a lovely
walled garden that Melanie Vassallo planted, but on a much smaller scale.
The garden is situated in an area that gets full sun up by the beach.  It
will be interesting to see how the spideries hold up in the wind.  I have
SUMMER STAR up by the beach and it holds up just fine!

I guess that I had something to say after all!

Chris Petersen
Northport, Long Island, New York