Re: Bulbs (was Iowans- you ok?)

You are warmer more of the year than I am then. Do you get any freezing weather? Some things need a cold period to set bloom, even if they grow foliage. I think yours would bloom later too. Mine start blooming in October and bloom until mid November. If you don't freeze, maybe grow them in pots and give them a cold period in the fridge?
----- Original Message ----- From: "Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSR" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2005 11:58 AM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] Bulbs (was Iowans- you ok?)

I'm in zone 8. They are near a really big sycamore tree, and I think the
daylilies have expanded enough to start shading them out too. I have
spring-blooming crocus around there that bloom every year - maybe the
saffron get too much shade when they have foliage? They do come up, just
don't bloom. Fertilizer? Planted too deep?
I'll have to go look for them again, I haven't paid much attention to that
area this year. Sheesh just talking about this makes me think of a list of
things to do that's about a mile long. I have daffodils that should have
been dug and divided this summer, the amaryllis belladonna should have been
divided this summer, I haven't seen my lycoris come up yet...
Wish I could grow oriental poppies. I love their looks but they bloom during
the windiest time of year here. You come out in the morning and there's this
gorgeous flower, but by 3 o'clock it's a tattered mess. My best
wind-protected area is behind the house, where the dogs do not allow
anything you'd actually want to grow. Weeds are fine, flowers they dig up.

Cyndi