Re: Well...it's cold!!! What is the best time to prune?

I have similar experience with American beautyberry. Every year I whack them to the ground and they come roaring back. Also, the scrub jays and Mrs Mocking Bird will plant them everywhere when you're not looking. This year, for the first time, I'm trying to beat the birds to the berries by harvesting them for juice--and the only sensible way to do this is to lop off whole berry-laden branches, which means most branches.

On Nov 4, 2006, at 8:41 AM, Bonnie Holmes wrote:

Guess it just depends on the region...this advice came from Cass Turnbull
who "professionally prunes plants in Seattle, Washington."

Bonnie Zone 7/7 ETN
Remember: The River Raisin, The Alamo, The Maine, Pearl Harbor, 9/11

[Original Message]
From: Judy Browning <judylee@lewiston.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Date: 11/3/2006 11:30:33 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Well...it's cold!!! What is the best time to prune?

From: "Bonnie Holmes" <holmesbm@usit.net>
...Some plants stand only a little punning, such as
...cotoneasters.....(From Fine Gardening Feb. 2006)

Just had to comment on this. Here in my yard I've cut cotoneasters to the
ground and they just come back. Decidedly vigorous, to the point I won't
plant them again. The only ones that didn't do well were the little ones
with tiny leaves.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W