Re: Those of you who write

Well, Jim
I find the hardest part of writing is the self discipline needed. There are deadlines given when you accept a job ... and it is a job... you are hired to perform a task in a given time for x amount. Since my last name is not Walden I can go sit in a isolated cabin every time I need, or want, to write. The world seems to want me most when I want it least. Those who do not write do not, or can not, understand what happens when the writer is interrupted. You have a flow and rhythm going and all of a sudden it is cut off.. You have to begin again and often you can not go back to exactly where you were before. I often loose what was in the pipe... so to speak. But... you do what you can do when you can do it, and life goes on.
Working like crazy people around here trying to get those fall projects completed... you know.. all the stuff you promised yourself you really would get finished before winter hit. Lots of trees and shrubs going into the ground. Last of the leave come up today and go into the garden for winter mulch. Some hardscaping going on as well.... Must be a couple of gardeners living at this address.
Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
Zone 6/5 Southern Indiana

First, if one is not a writer, one should find a JC class in "freelance" or "article" writing or some such and see if they can cut it. Most people have no idea how difficult writing is--this should give them a clue.

Second, one needs to study the market. Not peruse it--but really study it. You need to understand the trends and be smart enough to know what's old news.

Unfortunately, Gene is on the mark when he says the media is overrun by amateurs. And most of them are cherry-picking their facts from the same internet sources, with the upshot being that same-old-old-same-old gets recycled over and over.

To pretend to be upbeat--if it was moi, I would find a local weekly or semi-weekly newspaper that did not have a garden writer and try to spend a year or two telling nice, well-meaning idiots, why their rose of sharon turned brown in September.