Re: Sam update

I echo what Pam said. Now that I know Sam and I have the same birthday I love him more. Seriously, I feel like both he and Neal are part of my extended family. I'll breathe easier when I know that Sam is on his way home.
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, November 19, 2006 6:57 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Sam update

Kitty what wonderful news!  That is the greatest Christmas present your
family could ever have. Give him a hug from all of us and tell him how much
we appreciate him!

The latest update from my sister, Sam's mom:

"We're in the final days of Sam's duty in Iraq.  His unit will be in
shortly after Thanksgiving.  The 21st MP Co should leave Kuwait around
December 4th and touch down at Pope AFB (Fort Bragg, NC) by the 7th or so.
After they go through "decompression", deployment leave should start
the 18th or so. The goal is to get Sam home for his birthday on 12/20 and
then to really CELEBRATE Christmas!

"Sam has spent some of his final days in Iraq on his cot.  His Humvee was
sent to Camp Stryker to have its armor upgraded.  This should have taken
hours but Sam was there for about a week with nothing to do. So, like any
good soldier, he got as much rest as he could.  When he wasn't sleeping,
watched DVDs or listened to music--on his cot.  At some point, he found
mess tent and latrine but the rest of his time was spent on his cot!

"Sam slipped a few weeks ago and bruised his back.  That's why he took so
much cot-time.  He didn't have to wear his body armor which has been
dreadfully uncomfortable with the backache.

"He's been stationed in the Dora area.  For those not following the
in Iraq, Dora is home to a large open-air market that is regularly
by bombers (suicide and others) and hostage-takers.  This area is also
controlled by al-Sadr's Mahdi Army (al-Sadr is the American-hating
It's just such a fun place to be...

"As some of you know, Sam's best friend was killed by a sniper on 10/3/06. On 10/10/06, a mortar round fired into FOB Falcon (Sam's camp) ignited the
ammo dump. Amazingly, the ammunition blew up for four hours and the
explosions could be felt up to 5 miles away, yet no one was killed or

"For all of you who have prayed for Sam or even just had good thoughts,
thank you."

neIN, Zone 5

Pam Evans
Kemp TX