From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Aplfgcnys@aol.com
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2007 6:37 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] If winter comes....

We had the first hard frost here two nights ago - really late for
that.  Yesterday the leaves all came down from the Gingko biloba
tree.  That always happens the day after the first frost..  This
morning I saw the first Juncos of the season.  The Goldfinches
all lost their brilliant color weeks ago.
Fall color has been better than I had expected with the drought.
On the days when the sun shines, it is pretty brilliant, but too
many days have been dank and gloomy without any rain.  I
don't quite understand why there has been so much variation
in the coloration - there are still quite a lot of maples and some
other trees that are still quite green, while others have turned
and the leaves fallen.  The dogwoods began turning back in
August, but some still have leaves. I shouldn't complain about
the lengthy season, but I do wish it would rain.  Hurricane Noel
brought us less than two inches and there has been nothing
since.  I hate going into the winter with the ground so dry.