Re: Where is everyone/bees

We used to have wild honey bees that took over a large planter (Vase  shaped)
that we had.  The bees lived there for 5 or more years.  Every  so often we
thought they were leaving since hundreds of bees would leave, and  swarm
around, then congregate in one place with the queen, and then take  off.  However,
we soon learned that this was only part of the hive.   When a hive gets too
full, with offspring etc.  they form a new colony that  takes off for a new home.
 A smaller colony stays behind to continue that  hive.  This can go on
forever.  Our bees finally moved on after a  storm broke a branch that fell on the
vase planter and shattered it in  pieces.  I suspect they would still be there
if that hadn't happened.   Could well be that this is the case with yours,
since the sprinkler box will  only hold so many..... that is just a division of
the colony and not  actually the bees moving on.

Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 11/12/2008 11:12:18 AM Central Standard Time,