Happy Thanksgiving
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Happy Thanksgiving
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 412 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 13:36:00 -0800

Happy Thanksgiving from me too! We will be driving to my sister's house
tomorrow, with luck the traffic will be reasonable. On our roads the issue
is rarely going too slow, it's avoiding the people who are weaving in and
out of the two-lane road at 90mph.
I had temporary insanity while doing the grocery shopping and now we have 3
turkeys. In my defense they were cheap, we have a big freezer and now that
we don't raise lambs there's lots of room in it.  I'll cook one on Friday
and we'll have the other two sometime.
The vegetable garden is done for the year. There was a freeze while we were
in Arizona and that took out the remaining tomatoes and peppers. There were
a lot more peppers left than I thought and I felt bad I hadn't harvested
everything I could.  I did have the time even with all the little trips over
the last couple months, I was just lazy when I was home. But too late now. I
let the chickens out and they are cleaning up anything they can eat.
Downside of that is we have a rather aggressive rooster and he now thinks
the entire vegetable garden is his territory. We have to walk through there
to feed the horses so I may have to put them all back in their enclosure.
I bought some new plants for the winter greenhouse this year, getting bored
with my usual geraniums and cannas that I bring in from outside. I'm trying
some succulents, some indoor plants for hanging pots, alyssum to tuck into
some other pots.  Home Depot had 50% off on what's left of their bulbs, so I
bought lots of paperwhites, a few amaryllis and a bag of freesias. They also
had a bin full of giant white squill bulbs - never seen 'em before so I
didn't buy any but after looking them up I think I'll go back during the
weekend and see if they're still there. I could try a couple in the dry
garden.
I have to re-design my veg garden planting scheme this winter. I bought
Dripwork's irrigation "tape" last year - got tired of replacing the rubber
"leaky hose" every year after it clogged on our hard water. But the tape
delivers so much less water than the leaky hose I have to run it for almost
an hour during the summer, so I need to make sure all the beds using it are
on the same timer.

Take care all and Auralie, hope your Chet continues to improve.

Cyndi