Re: insect control

Hey David, darlin'...so glad to see you're back!

Not Daryl, and had not heard of your giant white fly, so did a Google
and came up with this page, which might be of interest to you as it
talks about some natural predators and other ways of controlling this
pest.....

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7400.html

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: David Franzman <dfranzma@pacbell.net>
>
> Hey Daryl
>
> I just read your letter about allowing mother nature to take care
of the
> insects in the garden.  I completely agree with you with this
caveat:
> Under your guidelines how should one control an insect invasion
from a
> foreign nation or area when that harmful bug has no natural
controls?
> There are many instances of this but the two that stand out here
are the
> Glassy Winged Sharpshooter (from the southeast) which damages
vineyards
> and more important for me and my business is the Giant Whitefly
from
> Mexico  which leaves a nasty white stringy goo on Hibs and other
> plants.  Neither of these insects have a natural predator here so I
was
> wondering how your philosophy deals with this kind of menace.
(Again,