Re: sluggo/escar-go

I had not heard this.  Ingestion of the iron phosphate bait, even in
small amounts, will, it is thought,  cause snails and slugs to cease
feeding, although it may take several days for the snails to die,
according to UC Davis IPM web site page on slugs and snails.  I
cannot find any further research that indicates exactly why this bait
causes slugs to stop feeding.  Iron phosphates are found naturally in
soils.

Perhaps a concentrated amount (which is mixed with a bait the slugs
want to eat) does something to upset their systems to a fatal degree,
rather like the caffeine experiments which seem to cause such
increased activity in the slug's nervous systems that they sort of
self-distruct (this with the pure, high 2% concentrate of caffeine
used in the research).

At any rate, since this is a naturally occurring substance that is
given in higher quantity than would naturally occur, I doubt that
slugs and snails would develop an immunity to it - but, of course,
have no scientific proof as I can't find any at this point.

I also did not find any instance of a report that slugs and snails
will become immune to this bait in the hundreds of hits on the
subject doing assorted Google searches.

It seems like once it was discovered that this worked and EPA gave it
a non-toxic blessing, no further research is being done on just why
it works.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade