Re: insect contro/giant whitefly

Yes, I thought it interesting; the size of those critters is also
interesting...ack!  I know we humans are speeding up the process of
moving plants and critters and their attendant baggage around the
world, but I do wonder sometimes if all the concern about and often
intrusive efforts to "save" native this or that is worthwhile in the
long run and large scheme of things.  Nature changes, albeit more
slowly, barring major upheavals like earthquakes, volcano eruptions,
meteors and ice flows, on her own hook and who's to say what is
introduced now might not have found its way here sometime in the
future anyway?  We humans seem to simply have to control whatever we
touch - for good or ill - and make a large issue of it while we're
doing it.  Should the planet survive another million years, I often
wonder what difference anything we do right now will make then:-)  Ma
Nature will triumph in any case and generally in some quite
unexpected manner.    Like....just what species will be dominant in a
million years, or even 100,000 or even 10,000?  We humans are quite
sure we will, but I bet the dinosaurs felt the same when they ruled
the world:-)

Washing leaves (most tedious) is a good control for a lot of insect
attacks - you're right, though, it's not very practical in the
commercial greenhouse situation, but for individuals and individual
plants, it does work and is only detrimental to the pest in question.

All goes as usual around this old homestead - meaning perpetual
hysteria of some sort:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: David Franzman <dfranzma@pacbell.net>
>
> Interesting article Marge.  As you know I'm not in the San Diego
area or
> other areas affected by G.W.  However, I will pass this along to my

> provider of liners.  I would think it would be of some value to
him.  As
> it pertains to our discussion I found it interesting that they are
> experimenting with bringing biological controls up from Mexico.
Reminds
> me of that age old story where you have to bring in other animals
> control the ones you brought in before in a procession that finally
ends
> up back where you started.  Who knows what will happen to native
species
> of insects when non-natives are introduced.  I suppose in a strange
way
> this is what happens when non native plants are introduced.  You
get the
> flotsom that accompanies them albeit slowly.  Mother nature always
finds
> a way doesn't she?
>
> One of the controls for G.W. is washing off the affected leaves.
If you
> look at my web site that is exactly what I recommend for the
homeowner
> as well as a first line defense.  On the other hand for those
growing
> thousands of ornamentals in a greenhouse the answer is obviously
not so
> easy.  This is a subject you and I have discussed before.  With the

> consumers wish for virtually perfect looking plants it's difficult
not
> to take the chemical approach.
>
> Nice to hear from you as well Marge.  Hope all is well with you and
Clark.