Re: heather was: soil types and pH

In a message dated 10/10/2003 1:00:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mtalt@earthlink.net writes:

> >Marge, I've grown Bergenia for years in a shady spot. It grows
> pretty well,
> >even spreads a bit, but rarely ever blooms - maybe only every other
> year.  I
> >keep it because the foliage is great for flower arrangements.  I
> gave a piece to
> >a friend who thought it wouldn't do for her because she had no
> shade - her's
> >blooms constantly.  Guess it needs sun.  Auralie
> Auralie, they grow well in sun or shade in the UK.  I am convinced
> the problem here is the hot, humid summer night syndrome that many
> plants who prefer cool nights - or at least nights that aren't jungle
> humid - simply can't stand.

Marge, this is sadly a moot point in my garden now.  A few days ago the deer
completely devastated the bergenia bed - pulled the tubers right out of the
ground and ate off all the foliage.  I have tried replanting the tubers, but
fear they are goners.